The Largest Daily Newspaper Exclusively
Serving Northwest Arkansas
The Morning News is owned by the Donrey Media Group.
IMPORTANT: The e-mail address
seen throughout this site is for questions, comments and suggestions about
this web site only. If you want to contact the newsroom about the newspaper,
use the address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quick Facts About Our Newspaper:
Published and issued daily and Sunday, 365 days a year, by The Morning
News of Northwest Arkansas, 2560 North Lowell Road, Springdale, AR 72764.
MEMBER: The Associated Press, National Newspaper Association, Arkansas
Press Association, Audit Bureau of Circulation, The Papert Companies.
To start delivery, contact the Subscriber Services department at 501.872.5020
or 501.619.2525 between the hours of 6:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
and 7:30 a.m.-11 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays; or fill out our subscription
form on this web site.
The Morning News of Northwest Arkansas has offices at the following locations:
2560 North Lowell Road
Springdale, AR 72764
313 South Second Street
Rogers, AR 72756
203 North College Ave.
Fayetteville, AR 72701
#21 Cunningham Corner
Bella Vista, AR
116 North Broadway
Siloam Springs, AR
Find out how to contact
us by phone and fax below!
A History of The Morning News of Northwest Arkansas
Northwest Arkansas has a rich newspaper publishing history led by the
predecessors of The Morning News of Northwest Arkansas. The newspaper's
roots extend more than 100 years through the Springdale News and the Rogers
The Springdale News made its debut May 7, 1887,
edited by 18-year-old John P. Stafford with a circulation of 182. Stafford
stayed up to date editorially and technologically and gave Springdale a
lively and interesting newspaper until his death in 1933. Other Stafford
family members worked on the News but the editor's role went to John P.
Stafford's third son, Edward R. Stafford. In 1946, R. R. Bob Sanders came
to Arkansas and joined the News. In 1948 Ellis M. Stafford, fourth son of
John P., Edward Stafford and Sanders purchased the newspaper from the Stafford
estate and published three times a week. By June 1949 the News was a daily,
publishing Monday through Friday.
Meanwhile, John W. Nance and Ernest W. Vinson started the Rogers Daily Post
on Jan. 1, 1910., publishing on a small hand-operated press. By August 1910,
Nance and Vinson had sold the newspaper to Ed Kruse and Emil Audigier.
P.M. Kokanour of Siloam Springs bought the Daily Post in 1912 and owned
it for seven years. Rogers never had a more conscientious editor. In 1919
Kokanour sold the Daily Post to his son, Ray, and Bill McGehee, a Linotype
operator, the first of many owners and lessees of the Post in the next decade.
In 1923 C. E. Palmer of Texarkana bought the
paper and owned it for four years. Palmer sold the Post in 1927 to James
P. Shofner who renamed it the Rogers Daily News, moved it to the Whitlow
Building on Walnut Street and added new equipment.
In 1929 Shofner sold the paper to E.W. Pate, who continued as owner of the
Rogers Daily News until the fall of 1955, when Charles Nutter of New Orleans
bought the paper. Nutter sold it to the Donrey Media Group on Dec. 1, 1955.
In 1962 Donrey converted the Daily News to offset printing, the first newspaper
in Arkansas to do so. Donrey also moved the newspaper office to its current
site at 313 S. Second St.
The Springdale News had far fewer owners than its Rogers counterpart over
the years. In 1955 Ellis Stafford sold his stock in the News to Bob Sanders
and Maudine Farish. Edward R. Stafford died in 1957 and his widow, Mrs.
Galphyra Stafford, assumed the role of publisher while Sanders became editor.
In 1958, Mrs. Stafford sold her stock to Sanders and Farish. Then Farish
married T.C. Sanders, one of Bob Sanders' brothers.
In 1962 Bob's brother Charles joined the News as general manager and operations
manager of the commercial printing division. In 1963 Bob Sanders retired
for health reasons and sold his stock to Charles, T.C. and Maudine Sanders.
In 1962 the News installed its own offset press in a
vacant building on Mill Street, two blocks away from the News' office on
West Emma Avenue. In 1970 the News consolidated everything under one roof
at another building on East Emma Avenue and added a Sunday edition in 1972.
Health problems forced T.C. Sanders and Maudine Sanders to retire and, together
with Charles Sanders, they the sold the News to Donrey Media Group on July
1, 1973. Charles Sanders remained as general manager until his retirement
Growth promoted changes in the Rogers newspaper as well. in 1978 the Rogers
Daily News started a morning edition named the Northwest Arkansas Morning
News. The Morning News and the afternoon Daily News printed in the same
plant until October 1981, when the Daily News ceased publication.
The relationship between the Rogers and Springdale newspapers grew. In 1988
the paper began sharing news, as stories written by either staff would appear
in both newspapers. In 1990 the papers combined production and composing
staffs under one roof in a new building just a few hundred yards south of
the Benton-Washington county line on Lowell Road. The building also was
home to the press the papers shared.
Later that year, the Springdale News changed its name
to The Morning News and joined the Rogers paper in a.m. publication. It
also opened an office in Fayetteville with news, advertising and business
office staff members. In 1991 The Morning News' business and editorial staffs
joined the production and composing crews at the Lowell Road site.
In 1992 both papers added Saturday editions and their advertising staffs
began selling both products.
In 1993 the Northwest Arkansas Morning News opened an office in Bella Vista.
A few months later, the newspapers combined sports staffs under one editor
and the Rogers staff moved to the Springdale building.
In the meantime, daily circulation for both topped 15,000.
In November 1994, the two papers merged into The Morning News of Northwest
Arkansas, creating the state's third largest daily newspaper. It operates
out of five offices, including one which opened in Siloam Springs in 1995.
But the Morning News of Northwest Arkansas hasn't forgotten its roots, keeping
full newsroom and business offices in towns that gave the paper its heritage
and success -- Rogers and Springdale.
How to Contact Us
(All phone numbers are area code 501)
| Main office numbers|
| Department numbers|
| Classified Advertising
| Classified Advertising
| Fax Numbers|
| Subscriber Services
| Fayetteville Office
| Bella Vista Office
| Siloam Springs Office